gzz-dev

[Gzz] trying out Storm (that uses GISP)

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: [Gzz] trying out Storm (that uses GISP)
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 14:59:05 +0300 (EEST)

just subscribed the list, apologizes for breaking the thread -- this is
about Storm: (am Cc'ing the Fenfire (ex-gzz) list where Storm is developed)

> Hi Benja,

Benja seems to be off-line so I try to fill in, as have been experimenting
with this now.. (could also try to answer the earlier question from Brad
about what Storm is :)

> Looked at the storm project, found it awsome!
> I'm glad to know GISP/UDP is working.

very glad to hear both those things :)

> I was tring to start a peer to see the gateway web page of Storm,
> but I couldn't see it, although I could run the peer.
> Does the peer need to connect to some other peer in the network?

The http gateway should always work, it does not require any connections
anywhere. The minimum command is in the README as follows:
Example of starting the gateway for http clients:
make http-gateway POOL=../test-pool

this defaults to http://localhost:5555/ but is not very interesting, as
there is no P2P in use at all. The nice part is, though, that here you get
the links to the data in the pool straight away, and via rewrite/ they
work in any http browser. But did you not see even this?

For the actual P2P to work a seed node must currently be specified in the
peer startup. Now there is a node to start from at himalia.it.jyu.fi:57083
so a command like this should work:
make peer ARGS="-gw 5000 -port 57083 himalia.it.jyu.fi:57083"

which puts the http gw in port 5000 (in himalia it's in 5555 though,
see http://himalia.it.jyu.fi:5555/) and uses 57083 for GISP UDP both ways.
TCP 37000 is used for data transfers in HTTP (or if that's taken the next
one etc.).

Then you should be able to load a html with strange images to you browser:
http://localhost:5000/rewrite/urn:x-storm:1.0:text/html,e6jy4kyum7hr3kxy3s6yvw4a52uqlhlc.an6ryrrgqu6td526a5dl4wtctwe6uc66ipdeeya
(originally published as http://an.org/glob.html , just for fun ..
Storm import does not currently fix links though so I did those by hand,
not that fun, but that will of course change at some point :)

My problem currently is that am setting up a node in our (company's, not
directly related to Fenfire or Storm) development/internal web server,
which is behind a firewall and NAT in a DMZ. I managed to tweak the host
config so that Storm shows the correct URL for the data here
(http://studio.kyperjokki.fi:37000/..), but when trying to retrieve data
in pools published elsewhere it does not work because GISP communicates
the internal 10-address that's used for the DMZ, not the correct public IP
that might work if NAT would do it's magic. Is there a reason why GISP
does so, and doesn't e.g. use the source address of the packages it
receives for replies, when NAT might work? (if we understood this
correctly as property of GISP, i.e. not how GISP is used in Storm). I
guess next thing for me is to find out how to change that address.

Hopefully you have better luck in retrieving the data without such
obstacles! I do think that the world would be a better place with
end-to-end IP without NATs and firewalls but this is the situation here
now anyhow..

Oh and if someone want's to try, you can also use
studio.kyperjokki.fi:57083 as a seed and query these blocks (and other
ones if p2p works for this node even if data transfer does not yet)

(one line of config text)
urn:x-storm:1.0:text/plain,wkduwen4pb7b2oqyhozfn3gictuviimv.wxop7ijdaaqm4a33xu7h45gavmrh65rl4xe24hy

(a logo animation of the company, about 1M mpeg1)
urn:x-storm:1.0:video/mpeg,di2tt655ksfd3bvapwindke7inef4du2.yljoqstl6mrdta6qwtmgv3kwjdj76og7nkr7emq

.. might help in knowing if my firewall configs are totally screwed or not.

> Regards,
> Daishi

thank you for writing GISP indeed,
and for the interest in Storm as well!