gzz-dev

[Gzz] [Fwd: announcing Tapestry 2.0 release]

From: Hermanni Hyytiälä
Subject: [Gzz] [Fwd: announcing Tapestry 2.0 release]
Date: 04 Jul 2003 10:27:25 +0300

--- Begin Message --- Subject: announcing Tapestry 2.0 release Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:31:21 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone.

I'm happy to announce that we have finally finished putting together a new
release of Tapestry.  When you downloaded Tapestry 1.0, you indicated a
desire to be notified when the next version came out, hence this email.

Tapestry 2.0 is now ready for download at the Tapestry website, or you can
go to this URL: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~ravenben/tapestry/html/download.html

I'll give a short summary of what's new in this release.  All of this
information is included in documentation inside the distribution.  The key
change from 1.0 to 2.0 is stability and adaptivity to changes in the
network.  In particular, we've implemented the very stable parallel
insertion algorithms in the SPAA 2002 paper, and gone through a rigorous
process of debugging and testing the software under a variety of
conditions and on a number of different test/simulation platforms.

Tapestry has also been augmented with a set of fault-resilience
algorithms, anchored by a component called Patchwork that uses periodic
heartbeats to monitor link quality to neighbor nodes.  Tapestry keeps a
small # (3) nodes in each routing table entry. By default, Tapestry will
route messages through the closest one in the set that has a link quality
better than some defined minimum threshold.  As link qualities change and
link and node failures are detected, Tapestry swaps entries to maintain
high delivery rate, and replaces dead nodes with backups, replenishing
when necessary.

In addition to resiliency, we've added both a distributed testing
framework and a centralized simulation platform to the distribution.
Nodes in the distributed framework take control messages from a central
experiment driver to perform all operations, and report back with results.
The simulation platform abstracts the network layer into a set of queues
driven by logical clocks, enabling a large number (up to 400) of node
instances to be run on a single machine.

Finally, we've included a couple of simple applications.  Interweave is a
simple file sharing protocol on top of Tapestry that provides kazaa like
properties.  Shuttle provides decentralized instant messaging for
users across a wide area network. Both applications are relatively new,
and still relatively unpolished.  Detailed documentation for them are in
the works.

All of the information you need to install and run Tapestry is included
with the distribution. Also inside is a PDF version of our recent journal
paper on Tapestry, which provides a good overview of Tapestry and its
goals as well as detailed performance measurements.

Thanks for using Tapestry.  If you have questions, feel free to check out
the website or email me.  Also, if you are using Tapestry to develop
applications, we would love to hear from you, and would be happy to put a
link to your application homepage from the Tapestry site.

Ben Zhao
and the Tapestry developers team
7/03/2003

--- End Message ---