gzz-dev

[Gzz] Why Pair keys?!?

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] Why Pair keys?!?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:57:16 +0300

CVS says that benja or mudyc is the author of the following code in CanvasView2D
(I'm not sure)

        while (iter.hasNext()) {
            Object n = iter.next();
            if (dbg) p("placeable object: "+n);
            org.nongnu.libvob.lava.placeable.Placeable p =

(org.nongnu.libvob.lava.placeable.Placeable)nodeView.f(fen.constgraph, n);

            int cs = vs.coords.orthoBox(paper2screen, 0,1,2,3,4,5,6);
            vs.matcher.add(matchingParent, cs, new Pair(container, n));
            vs.activate(cs);

            if(cull) {
                cs = vs.cullCS(cs, "CULL", box2screen);
            }
            p.place(vs, cs);
        }

Generating new Pair objects
in the innermost loop for all nodes is *not* acceptable.
It makes view generation much less efficient and gives a lot more work
to the GC, which is especially an issue on kaffe.

Could the author please explain why this is necessary?
I'm sure we can find a way around this, such as going to
a hierarchical structure with the matchingParent, i.e. first
one dummy coordsys after matchingParent with the container as the key
and after that, the node..

        Tuomas