gzz-dev

[Gzz] patchy reputed

From: Liz Pickett
Subject: [Gzz] patchy reputed
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:37:12 +0530

Inall Africa I scarcely know a gorge that is so eerie and depressing. But were Ito do this, I should indeed be the first of fools. The second was connectedwith that confounded and obsessing Heu-Heu. I asked, trying tomaster the reflex action of my interior arrangements.
I looked, and for a moment perceived nothing. If they are taught, Macumazahn, /if/ they are taught how.
Hereplied that they were the daughters of Panda, the King.
Macumazahn,come and stand by me, and you, Yellow Man, turn your back so that youface the fire. I could not dismissthat picture as some mere flight of distorted savage imagination.
Let me hear, who would learn whetheryours are the same as my own.
It is strange that the thought comes to me ofpictures. Helifted them once more and once more they rose, only this time muchhigher. These were said now to be fat again, but no oneseemed to know exactly where they were. The dwellers there may not leave their hidden land; it isagainst their law. I asked, trying tomaster the reflex action of my interior arrangements. I have no money to pay for more oxen, I said.
Therefore, it isnt strange that I shouldguess that you would do so again, is it? If there is any Heu-Heu, he is but a big ape, andliving or dead, I am not afraid of any ape. Of course, those Kaffirs would havetold me about it, would they not? Hereplied that they were the daughters of Panda, the King. I thought that you might like to know that,as you are curious on the point. Isnt it likely that you would go to a caveto escape from such a tempest, leaving the wagon outside? But were Ito do this, I should indeed be the first of fools.
No, it isnt strange, since the Bushmen often used to paintpictures in caves.
CHAPTER IVTHE LEGEND OF HEU-HEUZikali stopped laughing and contemplated us with his hollow eyes. Somehow or other they remind me of rocks piled one on another as on amountain slope, and look! Even for Zikaliallowances could be made; he was not altogether bad. Well, we inspanned and trekked away from that remarkable cave. You dont see a picture like that every night, Baas,and you know you wanted to come. Therefore, it isnt strange that I shouldguess that you would do so again, is it? Helooked at them, and said,Why, what do these silly things remind me of?
Somehow or other they remind me of rocks piled one on another as on amountain slope, and look!
It wavered; it changed; it becamefixed and definite, yes, clear and real. These I know not howto describe, but I will try.