gzz-dev

[Gzz] scaffolding

From: August Church
Subject: [Gzz] scaffolding
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:56:08 -0200

But the town was evidently not going to fall.
The danger was quite simple and intelligible.
Certainly the Andalusians were very ignorant.
As the yellow dawn comes up behind us, the Andalusiansentry, muffled in his cloak, begins singing.
So we had driven them back, temporarily atleast. It was perfectly clear that itwould only lead to rioting. Kopp catches my eye and, with aschoolboy gesture, thumbs his nose at the sound.
I hope I have done so, a little, in the earlier chapters of thisbook.
Certainly the Andalusians were very ignorant.
By long searching I managed to collect enough chipsof dry wood to make a tiny fire. Buenos dias was beginning to replace salud.
I do not knowquite how they got to this front. Jorge was his personalfriend and one of his best officers.
Everyone was profoundlyhappy, more happy than I can convey. It was thekind of shop you see in Bond Street or the Rue de la Paix.
The doctor was hauling me along by the arm.
He was too excited to give a veryclear statement.
Similarincidents had occurred at Figueras and, I think, at Tarragona.
I had not grasped that this was mainly a mixture of hope and camouflage. I wentacross to the Comite Local of the P.
It might be ours orit might be the Fascists; nobody had the dimmest idea which way we were going.
Kopp was waiting inside the parapet with a few Spaniards. Obviously they were working their way up the communication-trench. They were disappearing into the darkness.
There was no sign of Jorge or Hiddlestone, so I creptback. Strangers seldomaddressed you as tu and camarada nowadays; it was usually senor and usted.
I felt a vague sorrow as I heard him screaming.
Close in front abugle-call rings out from the Fascist lines. There was a tremendousnoise of excited voices coming from the Fascist redoubt.
Upstairs,in the room where militiamen normally went to draw their pay, another crowd wasseething. Politically there was now no power in Catalonia except the P.
Irealized that I must get back to the hotel at once and see if my wife was allright. Two Englishmen were laid low by sunstroke.
I remember wondering whether I wasfrightened, and deciding that I was not.
Douglas Moyle felt in his pocket and passed oneacross.