h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] [bug #63209] devuan GNU/Linux not on list of suppor

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] [bug #63209] devuan GNU/Linux not on list of supported distributions
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 14:35:55 -0400

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 23:45:23 -0400 John wrote:
> Previously, Debian submissions were reliable -- the bright line was simple: no
> other repos besides main enabled. If only main was enabled, Debian submissions
> could be trusted.

that does not meet my definition of "reliable" - that sort of
reliability depends on the "honor system" and the user's
knowledge of the system configuration, both of which are
unreliable - debian just made the latter less reliable, by
enabling the non-free repos automatically

it is only less likely that a trisquel user would have
third-party repos enabled - the problem now is that a debian
user may not even be aware that the non-free repos are enabled

the reliable approach would be to encourage people to stop
entering submissions manually via using the web interface; and
instead, encourage the use of the h-client - the client could
have some logic to detect the enabled repos or even to whitelist
kernel modules - that is the level of reliability i am aiming for