h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Unit attribute versus non-dimensionless quantities

From: Peter Colberg
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Unit attribute versus non-dimensionless quantities
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 15:42:03 -0400

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 10:54:29AM -0400, Peter Colberg wrote:
> I am still figuring out how to teach h5py to write data using HDF5 data types.

Here we go, the provisional release announcements [1] of h5py version 2.2.

  Committed types can be linked to datasets and attributes

  HDF5 supports "shared" named types stored in the file::

      >>> f['name'] = np.dtype("int64")

  You can now use these types when creating a new dataset or attribute, and
  HDF5 will "link" the dataset type to the named type::

      >>> dset = f.create_dataset('int dataset', (10,), dtype=f['name'])
      >>> f.attrs.create('int scalar attribute', shape=(), dtype=f['name'])

  [1]
http://www.h5py.org/docs/whatsnew/2.2.html#committed-types-can-be-linked-to-datasets-and-attributes

How great is that! Just at the right time.

(My fingers are itching to break the promise and write a proposal for 1.0…)

Peter