h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Metadata on physical quantities and their units

From: Peter Colberg
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Metadata on physical quantities and their units
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:14:32 -0400

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 10:52:19PM -0400, Peter Colberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have prepared a proposal that adds an H5MD metadata group for
> physical quantities and their units. Please read the proposal
> carefully, to avoid any inconsistencies to slip through.

Our current discussion of units is quite abstract, so I thought it
would be nice to explore a few concrete examples. I revised the above
proposal to illustrate a real-world scenario, a system of SI units as
available in the LAMMPS package [1]. The attachment contains a Python
script that produces such a “quantities” group.

[1] http://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/units.html

Peter