h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] git branch 1.0

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] git branch 1.0
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 10:05:15 +0200

Am 02.09.2013, 19:36 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 09:46:41AM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
Just a little thing: I would like to ensure that the finally
published manuscript (the first "official" version) corresponds to
version 1.0 (and not 1.0.2 or so). So I would tag it still as a RC
or similar. Also not sure whether there is really a need for 3-level
version numbers. (Fixing typos does not deserve a separate version
number IMHO).

The version number is three levels to differentiate between tags and
branches. The version published with the manuscript would be 1.0.0.

Peter

I understand that the second and third digits are for branches and tags, respectively. But what is the first digit for? Minor changes increment the tag, and major changes the branch. Will we ever reach H5MD 2.x with a three-level scheme?

BTW, the HDF group numbers HDF version 5, release 1.8, which I find a bit cumbersome as well. Why not simply version 5.8?

Felix