h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Version numbers

From: Pierre de Buyl
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Version numbers
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:51:57 +0100

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:49:36AM +0100, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> --On 5 novembre 2013 17:22:31 -0500 Peter Colberg
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >The specification of modules already contains this paragraph:
>
> That's the one I was referring to. The problem is that it looks like
> a mistake: first it says "size 2" and in the next sentence "x.y.z".
> I think it would be useful to say explicitly that z is not stored in
> the file.

"""
The version x.y.z of the H5MD specification follows semantic versioning: A
change of the major version number x indicates backwards-incompatible changes to
the file structure, a change of the minor version number y indicates
backwards-compatible changes to the file structure, and a change of the patch
version number z indicates changes that have no effect on the file structure and
serves to allow for clarifications or minor text editing of the specification.

As the z component has no impact on the content of a H5MD file, it is not
present in the 'version' attribute that contains only x and y.
"""

?