Re: [Health-dev] Install GNU Health from source

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Install GNU Health from source
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 12:53:25 -0300

Hi Emilien

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Emilien Klein <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi GNU Health developers,

I am currently installing GNU Health on a Debian Sid installation,
with the goal of packaging it for Debian. To do so, I need to install
GNU Health from source (not from PyPi). While installing Tryton and
GNU Health from PyPi works for me, I have not been able to install GNU
Health from the release tarball and using Debian's Tryton 2.4.2 from
the Experimental repository (sid currently has 2.2.4).

Maybe the easiest way to formulate my question is:

    Has anyone been able to do a *fresh* install of the current
version of GNU Health (including Tryton), following the information on
the wiki to install from source?

Yes. I don't use pip from GNU Health. I use the tar file.

The installation instructions on the wiki [0] seem to be for the
previous release (either of Tryton or GNU Health, screenshots seem
different, install_man make target not valid anymore) [I can help
update the wiki once I'm successful in installing from source]. The
steps to install from PyPi result in a working installation, however
the instructions to install from source do not. After having executed
`make install`, the files are copied in Tryton's modules directory. At
that point, the Tryton server refuses to start:

I use the Tryton sources also (not the package) when installing it.

$ sudo /usr/bin/trytond -i all -d tryton
[Fri Oct 19 23:22:41 2012] INFO:server:using /etc/trytond.conf as
configuration file
[Fri Oct 19 23:22:41 2012] INFO:server:initialising distributed objects services
[Fri Oct 19 23:22:41 2012] INFO:database:connect to "tryton"
[Fri Oct 19 23:22:41 2012] INFO:pool:init pool for "tryton"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/trytond", line 105, in <module>
    trytond.server.TrytonServer(options).run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/trytond/server.py", line 138, in run
    Pool(db_name).init(update=update, lang=lang)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/trytond/pool.py", line 113, in init
    self.start()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/trytond/pool.py", line 64, in start
    register_classes()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/trytond/modules/__init__.py",
line 318, in register_classes
    for package in create_graph(get_module_list())[0]:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/trytond/modules/__init__.py",
line 184, in create_graph
    raise Exception('%s unmet dependencies: %s' % (package, missings))
Exception: health_mdg6 unmet dependencies: ['health', 'health_lab']

Apparently another user has encountered the same issue a few months
ago, in May [1]. No solution seem to have been found, though.

I've started going a bit through Tryton's code. The problem seems to
lie in the way the modules are loaded. In
`trytond/modules/__init__.py`, Python modules qualifying as a Tryton
module are analyzed to see if their dependencies are met. That
validation depends on a list of modules present on that system. That
list has items, but all are empty. This results in Tryton to believe
that the dependency is not installed, thus refusing to start.

The core of the problem might be related to Tryton, or maybe to the
version packaged in Debian Experimental, but I first wanted to discuss
this with you to see if other GNU Health users had experienced the
same issue. Maybe there is a step that needs to be performed with the
latest version of GNU Health or Tryton that isn't described in the
installation steps?

I recommend you install both Tryton and GNU Health under a specific user directory, but is a matter of personal taste.

Thanks for your time and help.
    +Emilien
P.S.: Please CC me, as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Best,
[0] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_Health/Installation#Alternative_installation:_Using_the_configure_script_to_install_GNU_Health
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/health/2012-05/msg00019.html

--