Re: [Health-dev] FHIR adoption in GNU Health

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] FHIR adoption in GNU Health
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:01:29 +0100

> Dear all
>
> I've been researching on different methods / standards to exchange
> patient information across health centers / EMRs.
>
> Although there are different solutions that can be implemented in GNU
> Health, I find FHIR[1] the best option, due to :
>
> - Modern and practical
> - "Human readable" messages. This is key, so even in the event of not a
> very wide adoption of the standard, the message could be easily parsed.
> - Well defined "resources" to manage patient / party demographics and
> history.
> - Support XML and JSON at both client and server side
> - Good technical documentation and test servers
>
> The FHIR module / functionality implementation in GNU Health will run in
> parallel with the other specifications, such as HL7 V2 or PIX/PDQ
> profiles proposed by members of the GNU Health community.
>
> I will start with the implementation in GNU Health of the FHIR patient
> resource. Anyone that would like to join me in developing the FHIR
> module, please let me know.

I'd be interested in helping out.
At the day job, I've been working on an internal project 2 weeks ago
to add experimental support for a patient demographic query using
FHIR.

What kind of "interface" are you thinking about?
1. A query, where an external system would ask GNU Health about the
demographic information of patient X?
2. An Outgoing unsolicited stream, where each new patient or update to
a patient's demographic information would generate a message to 3rd
party systems?
3. Both variants?

Regarding case 2 (and 3), you would still need to have a trigger
mechanism, as we discussed when I gave the HL7 (v2) presentation [0] 3
months ago. I don't believe much has changed on that front in Tryton?

Cheers,
    +Emilien

[0] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5LxER0Fbm0