Re: [Health-dev] Steps to set up a development environement

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Steps to set up a development environement
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:50:57 +0000

On 07/03/14 17:37, Emilien Klein wrote:
>> Hi Emilien
>> On 07/03/14 05:24, Emilien Klein wrote:
>>> Hi -dev list,
>>>
>>> In order to help with the FHIR development [0] I am setting up a
>>> development environment.
>>> I have created a new VM (Ubuntu 13.10) and am wondering what the
>>> needed steps are.
>>>
>>> - Should I just install the current GNU Health version, and then go an
>>> remove the health* directories in the python installation path? Or
>>> install Tryton, and then manually all dependencies for GNU Health?
>>> - How do you test your development? Do you symlink your development
>>> folder, or do you have to run an install command after each change
>>> (hopefully not)
>>> - What other tricks do you use to make developing GNU Health easier?
>>>
>> For development we don't use the gnu health installer (although we could
>> create one).
>>
>> Since we're going to be using the *development* branch (default), the
>> best is to clone that branch.
>>
>> Similarly, GNU Health 2.6 will be Tryton 3.2 compatible, so you need to
>> get the latest Tryton server and modules from the Tryton mercurial server.
>
> Is that documented somewhere, maybe on the Tryton documentation site?
Yes. See the Development section of the Tryton Download page
http://www.tryton.org/download.html

For GNU Health development, you might want to download the required
Tryton modules only, executing something like this from your terminal

$ TRYTON_MODULES="account account_invoice account_product calendar
company country currency party product stock stock_lot"

$ for a in ${TRYTON_MODULES}; do hg clone
http://hg.tryton.org/modules/${a}; done

>> For now, the list of tryton modules remain the same as in the stable
>> installer.
>>
>> Once you have the two repos, just symlink the gnuhealth modules to the
>> trytond/modules/ dir .
>
> Do you symlink all the modules one by one, or can you just symlink the
> entire gnuhealth folder to the trytond modules folder?

It depends on what you want / need. Many times you will do a ln -si of
all the health modules, yet sometimes you might want to link only a
subset or just the main / core health module.

Unlike the stable branch, the GNU Health development branches are highly
volatile  :)