Re: [Health-dev] FHIR adoption in GNU Health

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] FHIR adoption in GNU Health
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 19:40:30 +0100

> Dear Emilien
> On 04/03/14 14:01, Emilien Klein wrote:
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> I've been researching on different methods / standards to exchange
>>> patient information across health centers / EMRs.
>>>
>>> Although there are different solutions that can be implemented in GNU
>>> Health, I find FHIR[1] the best option, due to :
>>>
>>> - Modern and practical
>>> - "Human readable" messages. This is key, so even in the event of not a
>>> very wide adoption of the standard, the message could be easily parsed.
>>> - Well defined "resources" to manage patient / party demographics and
>>> history.
>>> - Support XML and JSON at both client and server side
>>> - Good technical documentation and test servers
>>>
>>> The FHIR module / functionality implementation in GNU Health will run in
>>> parallel with the other specifications, such as HL7 V2 or PIX/PDQ
>>> profiles proposed by members of the GNU Health community.
>>>
>>> I will start with the implementation in GNU Health of the FHIR patient
>>> resource. Anyone that would like to join me in developing the FHIR
>>> module, please let me know.
>>

>> I'd be interested in helping out.
>> At the day job, I've been working on an internal project 2 weeks ago
>> to add experimental support for a patient demographic query using
>> FHIR.
> Great !
> I will create the initital health_hl7_fhir module in the development
> branch (default) of the mercurial server.
> We can also document it there.
>>
>> What kind of "interface" are you thinking about?
>> 1. A query, where an external system would ask GNU Health about the
>> demographic information of patient X?
>> 2. An Outgoing unsolicited stream, where each new patient or update to
>> a patient's demographic information would generate a message to 3rd
>> party systems?
>> 3. Both variants?
>>
> We have to have both ( client and server ). So we should be able to
> query and to respond, both from GNU Health.

If we don't have the Tryton hooks, how do you envision to generate
messages? Each time patient data is saved to the database? Other
mechanism?

Also, do you plan to have some kind of:
- configuration module, to be able to adapt the settings of the
interface without having to change the underlying code (configuration
parameters)
- communication module, to be able to start, stop, configure IP
address and ports, etc.

> We also should be able to generate and save the patient demographics and
> history using this format, so we can store it on the patient health card
> (encrypted)

I am not familiar with the patient health card. Is that some kind of
external file/application, or is that part of GNU Health server?

>> Regarding case 2 (and 3), you would still need to have a trigger
>> mechanism, as we discussed when I gave the HL7 (v2) presentation [0] 3
>> months ago. I don't believe much has changed on that front in Tryton?
>>
> We can open a thread on this, about using a general purpose Tryton
> messaging system, as Cedric proposed a while ago.

It would be nice if you wanted to do that, and point me to the
discussion so that I can follow it.