Re: [Health-dev] HL7 python library for the development of HL7 modules

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] HL7 python library for the development of HL7 modules
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 07:44:53 +0100

Hi Vittorio,

> Dear all,
>
> I am Vittorio and I work in the Healthcare Flows group at CRS4, a research
> center in Sardinia, Italy.
> Our team is involved in various ICT activities in the biomedical and
> clinical fields. We consider GNU Health a very worthwhile project and see
> our goals intersecting with yours. Perhaps there is a basis for future
> collaboration.
> We understand that you're interested in the integration of a new HL7 module
> within GNU Health

That was indeed discussed. Currently there is an effort to create
interfaces using the new HL7 FHIR standard, but I still believe there
is value in an HL7v2 set of interfaces.
I am still unclear on how to handle the triggers in Tryton though, and
am myself not a GNU Health developer [yet] as I still need to figure
out how to properly set up a dev environment.

> so we'd like to suggest you take in account hl7apy, our
> new open source HL7 Python library. It is a lightweight library that
> supports the creation, parsing and handling of HL7 v2.x messages and it is
> the only Python library that we know that implements more advanced features
> such as custom encoding chars, datatypes handling and, above all, validation
> of HL7 messages according to the HL7 specification.

All this seems pretty promising.

> You can find further information on our websites: http://hl7apy.org and
> http://www.crs4.it/web/healthcare-flows

 I'll have a look.