Re: [Health-dev] REST for FHIR in Tryton

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] REST for FHIR in Tryton
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 03:56:20 -0300

Hi Chris !

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 01:57:03 -0700
Chris <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hiya all!
>
> I wanted to do some work on the server-side FHIR specification --- as
> the client implementation definitely seems usable --- but I must admit
> confusion as to how to begin. Tryton, if I'm not mistaken, does not
> have a simple url routing mechanism, like some other python
> frameworks (e.g., Flask). But the FHIR specification requires a REST
> API, with simple url endpoints. Should I start writing bindings for
> the necessary FHIR functionality, and leave the url endpoints
> for...another time and place? For example, the `Patient` resource
> endpoint must conform to the restful api, and needs to: return a
> patient resource (with all the necessary info) given a resource id,
> search patient data and return all matching records, delete a patient
> record, etc. I guess what I'm asking is this: should I start writing
> minimal bindings without worrying overmuch about the REST endpoints
> and the greater design required by the FHIR specification? I'm
> cautious about writing code without having a clear design in mind. Of
> course, I do not have too much experience with Tryton and FHIR, so if
> I'm betraying my ignorance, please feel free to correct me! =-)
>
> Thanks for the guidance.

Very interesting . We have 3 components to approach: The FHIR
server, the Tryton server, and GNU Health.

I think that the best approach is to have a generic "message server"
for Tryton / GNU Health that would deal with different type of
non-interactive petitions, as well as dealing with internal home
keeping tasks in a near future.

The message server would listen in another port, and can connect to the
Tryton application servers, and be the middle man between the user
requests and the Tryton application server.

As far as the FHIR server,we need to implement the REST
functionality, that ideally could communicate to the message server,
and from there, get the resources from GNU Health. Strong focus should
be placed on security.

Also, from the GNU HEalth server endpoint, we not only have to return
the resource itself, but the references to other resources (eg, the
patient health care provider). This part should not be hard, and can be
done at GNU Health module level. Also, we'll work on the versioning
concept for each resource.

At Tryton server level, Cedric proposed a while ago the idea of having
the functionality for a generic message server, that would serve for
different protocols (like EDI). We need to work more on this details,
but definitely I think is something that needs to be implemented soon.

I will discuss this FHIR server tomorrow in Medetel - Luxembourg - with
my colleagues.

About the FHIR client for GNU Health, we're doing quite well there ! I
will put on the community server some functionality for the patient
resource, so we can play with interactions such as search, get,
create and update.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks a lot for your work !

All the best,

--
Luis Falcon
GNU Health : The Free Health and Hospital Information System