Re: [Health-dev] [task #13377] Default PUID configuration and features f

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] [task #13377] Default PUID configuration and features for GNU Health in distributed environments
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:55:17 +0000

Hi Andrew !

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:34:09 +0000 (GMT)
"address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Luis
>
> Thanks for the reply. If the patient's/person's local health ID,
> their regional health ID and their national health ID are in a
> similar format then surely they will get mixed up if they are not
> displayed on screen with an "ID Type".
>
> The following is unlikely but possible:
>
> Patient A local health ID:
> 123456
> Patient A regional health ID: 234567
> Patient A national health ID:
> 345678
>
> If GNU Health doesn't attach and display (on screen) an ID Type with
> each patient ID then surely patient records are more likely to get
> mixed up?

But the PUID should be unique. In any case, GNU Health does not allow to
have the same code on the PUID, so no collisions should happen.

The way I see it is a matter of normative / legislation. Normally, at
country level, citizens have an ID that can uniquely identify them.
If you have a "regional ID", and that is not the PUID, then it this
code would go in the "alternative IDs" section.

> In an ideal world all patients/persons would have a single national
> health ID but in reality a local "temporary" health ID (temporary
> system ID) may have to be created for an emergency admission
> unconscious patient.

Yes. In upcoming GNU Health 2.8 that's the way it behaves. If you leave
empty the PUID field, the system will generate a pseudo-random
alphanumeric string, to take care of NN's and those who want to remain
anonymous.

> Sorry to keep
> "nagging on" about this but I think it is very important that we get
> the right solution.

On the contrary :)
Your comments are always constructive and most welcome, so please, keep
on "nagging" until you feel happy with the solution, because I might be
missing something, and this is the right place and time to do it.

All the best,
Luis