[Health-dev] Should distribution packaging solve the installation/config

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: [Health-dev] Should distribution packaging solve the installation/configuration issues our users are having? (was: Error connection client and server tryton, gnuhealth 2.8.1 ubuntu 14.04.1)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:43:01 +0100

When I read a number of recent messages of the type "can't install",
"can't connect", etc. I do feel that there is a need for a package
coming from the distro's repository, that would auto-configure all
that stuff. It would make a lot of "beginner" users happy.
Of course, us veteran developers and system administrators have no
problem setting all these things up, and doing the occasional
debugging/reading through logfiles to see where it went wrong, but a
lot of our users are naturally not that tech-savvy.

This in reference to the discussion we had a couple of months ago,
when I was working on the Debian package (which we removed from the
repository, but the discussion was recently restarted due to the
latest version of GNU Health being released).
If you're interested, have a look at the use cases and personas I had
described in this message [0]. Be warned, it is a long message ;)
[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2013/09/msg00077.html

There is no particular need for an answer on this message, but I just
wanted to express my opinion as I've been having this thought a couple
of times already this week, when reading the messages on the mailing
list...

Cheers, and congrats on the new release!
Emilien