[Health-dev] OT: gnuhealth distro packaging (was: Should distribution pa

From: Mathias Behrle
Subject: [Health-dev] OT: gnuhealth distro packaging (was: Should distribution packaging solve the installation/configuration issues our users are having?)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 12:44:07 +0100

* Axel Braun: " Re: [Health-dev] Should distribution packaging solve the
  installation/configuration issues our users are having?" (Wed, 11 Feb 2015
  10:41:43 +0100):

> OpenBuildService is OpenSource and free to use. It builds Debian and Ubuntu
> as well (also on the reference server, build.opensuse.org), and by this can
> use as a common repository.

Axel just asked me per PM, if and why I wouldn't use OBS for Debian gnuhealth
packages and I am also answering here to share with the list.

My points in primarily not using OBS in descending order:

- For the build of Debian packages I am using the Debian toolchain, whenever it
  is not possible to use the Debian infrastructure itself. This gives me the
  background of a well established and proven build system with extended sanity
  tests.
- I don't know OBS, therefore following remarks may be FUD:
  - The one or two times I wanted to try it was very unresponsive, I
    saved my time in not trying further.
  - I doubt, that the infrastructure as built on debian.tryton.org is
    possible to do on OBS.
  - I doubt, that OBS does the sanity testings (lintian, piuparts), which are
    part of the quality process on debian.org.
  - Finally I just trust more in Debian native tools than a third party build
    service.

Cheers,
Mathias

--

    Mathias Behrle
    MBSolutions

    Tel: +49(761)471023
    Fax: +49(761)4770816
    http://www.m9s.biz
    UStIdNr: DE 142009020
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6