Re: [Health-dev] Who wants to help on the development of automatic data

From: Christoph H. Larsen
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Who wants to help on the development of automatic data input of health surveillance?
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 16:18:33 +0100

Dear All,

As usual, Marc has read my mind ;-)...

On 06/12/15 14:42, Marc Murray wrote:
[1] flask-tryton  - https://pypi.python.org/pypi/flask_tryton
[2] wq - https://wq.io

On Sun, 2015-12-06 at 08:40 -0500, Marc Murray wrote:
On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 21:25 -0200, Roberto Novaes wrote:
Hello to all! I have sent a similar message to health list but with a
different purpose. Only the same paragraph is the same.
GNU Health has modules dedicated to the monitoring of neglected
tropical diseases (dengue and chagas so far).  We are working here
Brazil to automate the process of data input into the system. Instead
of using the desktop interface, we are studying the following
possibilities: use a super simple tablet or a paper form that will be
scanned. Those solutions would be used on the field by the health
workers. Our first area of work would be to register dengue related
information, which is, together with chicungunya and zika, major
health issues in Brazil caused by Aedes Aegypt.

We are thinking of two alternatives:

1) Use a super simple tablet, that would display a list of places to
visit (like the Domiciliary Units). The user would, then, open a form
to input the data colected regarding that place. This data would
later be exported to a csv file to be imported into GNU Health.We are
studying android development with SQLite to do that.

Maybe I'm biased because I don't know Android development, but I think
a web application may be more accessible than an Android app.
Mobile devices are good, because they have longer-lasting batteries and allow disconnected data input. However, as Marc said, do things through the web, leveraging HTML5 to our advantage. wq.io does exactly that, and is worth while exploring. And, hey, it is written in Python :-)! LimeSurvey is feasible and stable, too: It can run on an Android version of Lighty, PHP and SQLite wrapped into one app (AndroPHP - sounds like a medical device ;-) ). However, the underlying architecture is a bit more involving. Open Data Kit (ODK) is heavily pushed by USAID and Rockefeller Foundation sponsored entities, but is inherently buggy and does not scale well. Plus, it is ugly and squinting towards the proprietary sector. I have repeatedly lost data with it.

I'm thinking that you could get away with using HTML5 and localstorage
for offline access. The synchronisation would then take place when the
device goes back online. Except, it would be through the same web-app
instead of CSV.
Exactly.

To do this you could use flask-tryton [1] and you would need some
Javascript goodies to handle the localstorage part.

And then there's this library I've heard of, but haven't used, called
wq [2] that seems to be designed for this kind of thing - through the web.

2) Use a paper form that could be scanned and the data collected
would be also imported directly into GNU Health. We are studying
sdpas to do that --> http://sdaps.org/SDAPS
LimeSurvey has this feature built-in, and uses https://github.com/ACSPRI/queXF.

If you (we) can pull off the web based interface as above, then we
could also provide some kind of web-service interface that will allow
the OCR and other machines to be able to submit data - without
understanding Tryton.

GNU Health would have to make the process of generating the places to
visit on a day to each health worker automatic.
a report?

What do you think? Please help and criticize.

I love it. And we will need something like this in Jamaica soon. We
are currently at the specification stage where the Environmental
Health experts are reviewing their paper forms.

A similar setup could also be used for collecting other field data:
e.g. restaurants, hotels, barber-shops and so on.
Of course, if further explanations are needed, I would be glad to do so.

I have a couple of questions about your intentions:

What would the field officer do if a location not mentioned on her
"visit sheet" is discovered?
How will you handle authentication and accountability? Will the field
officers be regular users in/of GNUHealth?
Do timestamps matter for the data being collected?
Will the field data contain personally identifiable information (name
of contact person/proprietor doesn't count)?
Ideally, we could use mobile devices through the web to collect data in freely configurable forms (with properties similar to those question types done by LimeSurvey), collect geographical location data, and map them accordingly. Data exchange with OSM would be essential, and OSMAnd a great tool to map and track things. In fact, it would be wonderful to see OSMAnd and Tryton's GIS capabilities play ball together. Tryton would do the backoffice data maangement, provide business intelligence, analysis, clearance and aggregation, and presentation of those data. It may be cute to find a feature that allows R functionality, as in adding formula from R into Tryton's BI. I have added a (very drafty) write-up I did in Kenya recently for NTDs (namely visceral leishmaniasis and echniococcosis), as they fall entrely off the WHO AFRO's integrated disease surveillance and response (IDSR) radar. Tryton would, with the right GNU Health AND LIMS modules (don't forget that lab confirmation is an ESSENTIAL element of proper IDSR!), offer a terrific integrated platform to *create surveillance data where they are created* , instead of the usual way, where epidemiological reporting means that we have to fine-comb through existing patient data.

Thanks in advance,

And thanks for starting this discussion.
The pleasure is mine! Thank you both!

Roberto Novaes
Sílex Sistemas
www.silexsistemas.com.br <http://www.silexsistemas.com.br>