Re: [Health-dev] Status of hl7 and pdq modules

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Status of hl7 and pdq modules
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 19:07:22 -0800

Hiya!

On 01/18/16, Luis Falcon wrote:
> Hi Cedric
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 22:17:39 +0100
> Cédric Krier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What are the status of those modules? Their version is still 0.0.1 and
> > they were not published on PyPI. So I'm wondering if and how I could
> > package them for Gentoo.
> >
> We didn't make it to test PDQ for 3.0 . It will be ready for the next
> version GNU Health version.
>
> The FHIR package on backend is already on pypi. It's a different -
> standalone - library, that I started a while ago, and that Chris
> been updating it heavily.
>
> I will add Chris on the Pypi portal, so he can also maintain and update
> the version there.

Sorry I didn't respond to this before, but I've been doing some thinking
about the FHIR/HL7 libraries.

With the FHIR code I'm starting to re-evaluate some choices. Before,
there were truly no external python libraries to handle FHIR data
models, or clients, so we had to write them. Now we are in the position
of updating libraries which probably should be hosted/packaged
separately. There is finally a good deal of development in the FHIR
community with good fhir clients/model libraries. The hl7/pdq modules
already do this - using hl7apy - for the parsing/data models. Similarly,
I think I'll start using external libraries when I start updating the
FHIR server more. We can, then, thin out the codebase by removing the
FHIR backend libraries and clean up/remove the fhir pypi packages.

Sorry for long message. =-)

All the best,

-C