Re: [Health-dev] Prescribing liquid medicines

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Prescribing liquid medicines
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:57:50 +0000

Hi Andrew !
On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 19:26:16 +0000 (GMT)
"address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Luis and dev team
>
> When prescribing oral liquid medicines it might be safer to include
> the strength of the medicine in the 'medicine' description.
>
> Amoxicillin 125mg/5ml oral suspension

True ! It's quite common in pediatric settings (eg, Ibuprofen 100mg/5mL,
40mg/mL, 20 mg/mL ... )

> The dose and dose unit can then be descibed as the volume to be
> given/taken by the patient
>
> 5 ml
>
> This is quite a complex prescribing situation and each
> clinic/hospital will need to decide how best to set up or amend their
> prescribing drug database with regard to prescribing liquid medicines.

This is what we can do:

At the medicament (drug) model, include a "concentration" group
with the following two fields :

Drug amount : (integer) . UoM (Selection : g, mg, mcg). Default mg
Volume : (integer) . UoM (Selection : L, mL). Default mL

This info is drug, patient and context dependent.

As you suggest, the suspension concentration information will be
included on the medicament information and uploaded to GNU Health as
part of their Vademecum reference.

The good thing about including the the amount , volume and their
respective UoM is that health professionals can use calculators (eg,
mg/kg dose).

Let me know your thoughts and thank you for your always insightful
and great suggestions !

> Regards
>
> Andrew Gledhill
>
> (retired hospital pharmacist)

It's great having you around in the GNU Health community for all these
years, and the years to come ! :)

All the best for this coming 2017 !
Luis