[Health-dev] [bug #63626] Improvements for address management

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: [Health-dev] [bug #63626] Improvements for address management
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 06:40:44 -0500 (EST)

Update of bug #63626 (project health):

                Severity:              3 - Normal => 1 - Wish
             Assigned to:                    None => meanmicio
                 Release:                    None => 4.3.0
               Component:                    None => Hospital Management

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi, Mathias!

>From our Wikibook GNU health chapter on DU,
(https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_Health/Domiciliary_Units), a Domiciliary
Unit (DU) represents a human dwelling. It is composed of intra (domiciliary)
and extra (peridomiciliary) spaces. The DU is a physical entity that denotes
the place where one or more people live regularly.

So, the DU is much more than just an address, and although they can complement
each other, they are two different entities. The address is just one attribute
from the many that the DU model. For example, the DU can not be a PO box.

We integrate the country and subdivision concept of the address in DU. Both
the GNU Health DU and the Tryton address models have been there for many
years. The Tryton address model has gone through quite a few changes
throughout the versions, and we try to keep the compatibility without breaking
the GH functionality.

The DU needs to have a unique code. Many countries uniquely identify each
property with a cadastral code, and can be incorporated to GH. In scenarios,
where there is no formal identification of the DU / property, we could
generate some ID when the field is left empty. I see this task more related to
the localization effort for each country.

The DU assignment to the person denotes the main residence. I agree we could
think about using a O2M approach for multiple residences, and evaluate pros
and cons (for instance, today the DU shows in realtime all the inhabitants at
any given time of that residence). Currently, additional addresses can be
entered in the person demographics, as addresses.

Let me know your thoughts.

Bests
Luis

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?63626>