Re: [Health] GNU Health for community hospital in India

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] GNU Health for community hospital in India
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:18:25 -0300

Dear Kaushik

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Blue Light <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>      We are considering GNU Health for the township hospital in Auroville, a
> universal town in India.  We are a small team and would be grateful if you
> could give us an idea of the efforts involved and clarify some of the
> following :
>
> 1. How long does it approximately take from start to deployment for a 100
> bed hospital?
> (Implementing Patient Appointments, Inpatient and Outpatient evaluations,
> surgeries, finances, obstetrics , stock management , Laboratory management,
> bed management, ICU, Pathology, Radiology, USG and Pharmacy.)
Implementation times has too many variables to be able to assess at
this point. Depends on many aspects : hardware, human resources, level
of training, level of motivation (very important), interfaces with
other systems, initial import of clinical records (if desired),
localization to your country/region (financial, provinces, languages,
health districts), entering the population demographics (families,
socioeconomics... ).

Every implementation is different. We did an implementation at a
public hospital and took about 4 months, and they're running all the
functionality that you have asked. You do the project in stages.

> 2.  Would we have to make any source code changes?. Or do we only have to
> configure and create the database?.
The standard source code is not changed. You can create your own
localization (chart of accounts, reports, security profiles,
wizards... ) in a separate module. That module can be installed in any
of your new database.

> 3. We understand it depends heavily on Tryton which is owned by a different
> organisation. If Tryton project were to run into any difficulties would that
> affect GNU Health?.  Is there any issue we need to be aware of in this
> regard?. Please let us know.
Tryton is a community based project, same as GNU Health. We use Tryton
as the framework because it's does not belong to a company in
particular, and because it's very solid from the technical point of
view. Plus it has a cool community :-)
That being said, Tryton is just one important piece. GNU Health also
relies on Python, PostgreSQL, Free Operating Systems, LibreOffice ...
all community-based ethical projects. GNU Health is an official GNU
project that adapts itself to the latest, state-of-the-art technology
(now for example has an Android client), but always keeping the focus
on delivering a Free Health and Hospital Information System to health
professionals o health centers around the world, improving peoples
lives with Free Software.

Best

--
Luis Falcon