hegemonie-devel

[Hegemonie-devel] fanatic headland

From: Wilfred Beard
Subject: [Hegemonie-devel] fanatic headland
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:35:17 +0300

At last we re-entered Hamdh,at Kurna, and though its clay bottoms held only mud, decided to camp. Our rebelswere not materials, like soldiers, but friends of ours, trusting ourleadership.
To me an unnecessary action, or shot, orcasualty, was not only waste but sin.
Seen from near by, it more resembled a huge footballhalf-buried in the ground. The vexed Rabegh question died: and we had learnt the first rules ofBeduin warfare.
Admiral Wemyss was as ready to help now as he had been in ourhard days round Rabegh. He rose, as ever, to a proposition of honour,and agreed instantly to do his best.
Feisal knew neither its terrain norits tribes.
Nasir made a splendid impression, much as we had heard, and much as wewere expecting of him.
SIR ARCHIBALD MURRAY BEGGED US TO PUTIN A SUSTAINED ATTACK TO DESTROY THE RETREATING ENEMY.
The vexed Rabegh question died: and we had learnt the first rules ofBeduin warfare.
This was the flood-water of Abu Zereibat,our goal.
THINKING CONVINCED METHAT OUR RECENT PRACTICE HAD BEEN BETTER THAN OUR THEORY. SO ON RECOVERY I DID LITTLE TO THE RAILWAY, BUT WENT BACK TO WEJH WITHNOVEL IDEAS.
The contagion of their constant passagemade the lukewarm Billi ever more profitable to us. We ordered Sherif Nasir to stay near Kalaat el Muadhdham, andkeep his men in hand for an effort.
He never gave a partialdecision, nor a decision so impracticably just that it must lead todisorder.
Then he handed the beasts back to their Billiowners.
The great pool had shrunk little in the twomonths, but was noticeably more salt. Now, I had not warned Feisal that Bremond was a politician. OUR EXPERTS MADE PLANS FOR ATTACKING THEM. The Arabs had passed from doubt to violent optimism, and were promisingexemplary service.
Feisal was vexed, and protested his inability to understand so feeble aman.
Feisal carried most of this upon his own shoulders.
To-day was cold: a hard northwind drove into our faces down the grey coast.
It was as with the negroes, tom-tomplaying themselves to red madness each night under the ridge. Feisal carried most of this upon his own shoulders.
Beyond them the circle of Arabian well-wishers was nowstrangely increased. His price was aBritish brigade for Rabegh; and we would not pay it.
Another day a tent took fire, and part-roastedthree of our guests.
Feisal carried most of this upon his own shoulders. He began to enlarge on the nature of theground. We admiredneither their riding nor their mares: perhaps because they were anuisance to us.
My vision of the course of the Arab war was still purblind. In the morning, early, we marched in a straggle for three hours downWadi Hamdh.
Ibn Dakhil in command obtained a quietregularity of obedience.
Murray had given us two armoured-cars, Rolls-Royces, released from thecampaign in East Africa. His headship had been acquired by sheer force of character.