Re: [Help-bash] How to keep only files match the prefix when do command

From: Clark J. Wang
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] How to keep only files match the prefix when do command completion?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:12:27 +0800

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 05:35, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:

Again, I feel that you still don't get the idea of how to make the
manual more readable (hence you may not able to see where examples
should be added as I suggested above). I think that a writer of an
document really need to think how to make the manual easy to read for
the readers rather than think how it is convenient for the auther to
write the manual.

Don't forget Bash is free open source software.

And for most basic Bash users they just don't read the man page. Instead they may like /Learning the Bash Shell/ or /Advanced Bash Scripting Guide/. I've never seriously read a shell book. For most of the time I just read `man bash' or `info bash' but I have written thousands of lines of bash completion code working quite well.

If you really think the bash man page is not good you may consider contributing something free like ABS Guide to other new bash users. And I think if you can donate 1000 USDs Chet will be very happy to update the manual in the way you like. :)

Peng

--
-Clark