Re: [Help-bash] How to keep only files match the prefix when do command

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] How to keep only files match the prefix when do command completion?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:21:04 +0100

Hi Peng,

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 18:57, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Don't forget Bash is free open source software.

[...]

> I'm not the author of bash and I am not able to completely rewritten
> the corresponding manual that exact match the behavior of bash. The
> authors haven't replied my last email. Unless the authors can prove
> the current state of the manual is superior to what I propose, my
> suggestions should be considered.

I am also a relatively new bash user (~ 3 yrs) and have recently started
programming completions. I feel the more general description in the bash
manual has been more helpful for me. Such a presentation avoids a lot of
confusion of concepts. However I do agree a few examples would help.
After all a manual is not supposed to be like a tutorial, they are both
essential but different entities.

That said, you should not take offense of Clark's comment about bash
being free and open source. Anyone correct me if I am wrong, the bash
manual as it is today, wasn't written in a day. Its through users like
yourself and developers adding to the original that has helped it to get
to its current form. I would suggest you send a patch to the manual to
bug-bash with your suggested improvements. Then bash developers can
discuss and suggest improvements and help you arrive at an acceptable
patch. At least that is how things worked when I contributed a few bug
fixes and documentation patches for Emacs.

> --
> Regards,
> Peng

Cheers,