Re: [Help-bash] How to keep only files match the prefix when do command

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] How to keep only files match the prefix when do command completion?
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 17:00:37 -0500

On 12/20/11 12:57 PM, Peng Yu wrote:

> I'm not the author of bash and I am not able to completely rewritten
> the corresponding manual that exact match the behavior of bash. The
> authors haven't replied my last email.

There isn't that much to reply to in your last email.  We agree that
the programmable completion section could use an example of a shell
function that generates completions: I have a pretty good one, and it
will be in the next version of the manual.  We will have to disagree
on the presentation order; I'm still convinced that the current order
is the best one.  Some of the smaller changes you propose have merit,
and I'll incorporate them into the existing text.  None of that needs
to be debated.

> Unless the authors can prove
> the current state of the manual is superior to what I propose, my
> suggestions should be considered.

I did consider them, and used what I considered valuable, but I don't
feel any need to engage in an attempt to `prove' that the current
version of the manual is `superior'.

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/