Re: [Help-bash] Closure concept in bash

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Closure concept in bash
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 11:36:40 -0700

Peng Yu wrote:
> > >        -a   Automatically mark variables and functions which are
> > >             modified or created for export to the environment
> > >             of subsequent commands.
> >
> > In this context "mark" is used as a verb meaning to annotate the
> > variable and add information to it.  Another expression would be to
> > flag the variable.  Or to tag the variable.
>
> Why just "mark"? It looks to me that they are just marked but not
> exported according to the description in the manpage. But aren't these
> variables exported as well?

I am sure it is documented that way because it accurately describes
what the code is actually doing.  Describing it differently would then
be inaccurate.

This description is no different from that for 'export'.  From the
help text for export:

    Set export attribute for shell variables.

    Marks each NAME for automatic export to the environment of subsequently
    executed commands.  If VALUE is supplied, assign VALUE before exporting.

As you can see the text of the description is very similar.  In both
cases the variable or function is marked for export.

In English text these are a very plain statements.

Bob