Re: [Help-bash] Closure concept in bash

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Closure concept in bash
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:46:56 -0500

On 1/31/12 5:59 PM, Dan Douglas wrote:

> So they don't even have a way to get the kind of "cascading inheritence-like"
> scope you get from bash? I find function wrappers with callees that see
> locals
> of a caller and then convieniently destroy themselves when returning to
> really
> clean up the solutions to some otherwise hard problems, which wouldn't be
> worth the trade-offs in another langauge.

David Korn is adamant that ksh's sort-of-static scoping is better, to the
extent that he has threatened to not accept any Posix specification of
`local' that doesn't specify that scoping.  There's no way using Posix
functions, and no way using ksh functions except by sprinkling `export'
all over the place, to get the behavior you want.

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/