Re: [Help-bash] opposite of 'shift'

From: Clark J. Wang
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] opposite of 'shift'
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:36:38 -0800

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 06:09, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 07:44:47AM -0600, Peng Yu wrote:
>> I recall now that I have seen this before. I think that it is probably
>> better to have some function like 'unshift' [...]
>
> You can implement an unshift function for your scripts if you want.
> Would you like help writing it?  No?  You just want to keep complaining
> that Bash doesn't have every conceivable feature from every other
> programming language you've ever worked with?

If other languages have it, why not bash can not have it?

Bash should support OO  because C++ supports that.
Bash should support socket programming because Perl supports that.
Bash should support functional programming because Haskell supports that.
Bash should support scripting in C language because Ch support that.
Bash should be able to do anything so I don't need to learn any other languages.

If many
users end up having to write up its own version of the function for
the same purpose, why not adding to the language. I don't think that
you comment make any sense here.

You could equally ask why other languages provide these functions
after all users could define their own functions.

Peng