[Help-bash] read that understands quoting

From: Bill Gradwohl
Subject: [Help-bash] read that understands quoting
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:26:28 -0600

I've been experimenting with read and can't figure out a way to have it act like what happens when quotes are used on a command line.

If I have the following:

someScript     'this is one field'        thisisanotherfield        'This is the last field'

I get 3 passed parameters. If I read a line from a file with the identical parameters, I get 10 fields as the quoting is ignored.

Is there a way to get the read to go along with the quoting?
Is there some other mechanism that can do it?

--
Bill Gradwohl