Re: [Help-bash] Why won't set -v work?

From: Bill Gradwohl
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Why won't set -v work?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:47:21 -0600

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden> wrote:
What is it that you think set -v actually does?  What's your goal in
using it?

I've used -v before on simple test scripts and under simple conditions I got what I was expecting. -v in a more demanding environment such as the case statement is useless - I agree.

I thought it was going to echo the lines of code as they were being executed, much like -x only without all the -x hieroglyphics. I was hoping to use both simultaneously to read a line of code via -v and then see the -x version along side. That would be handy. As it is, -v is not usable for anything of any consequence.

I tried reading up on the debugger and got lost. I guess I'll give it a try again as I want something that can single step, display intermediate results, etc without resorting to echo this and echo that at the source code level. I thought -v might provide some relief, but no such luck.

--
Bill Gradwohl