[Help-bash] read -s -n 1 REPLY values

From: Bill Gradwohl
Subject: [Help-bash] read -s -n 1 REPLY values
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:13:21 -0600

I'm experimenting with :
   read -s -n 1
and trying to get a map of the return values per key struck. Some of
what I've manually discovered so far is a bit bizarre.

Hitting some keys returns several characters worth of data and I'd
like to know what key produces what data.

For example, the Home key produces \E O H
keypad Home produces \E [ 1 ~

Is there a known map of what will be returned per key?

Does what gets returned vary by being in a Gnome 3 terminal session vs
a tty terminal session?

Thank You

--
Bill Gradwohl