Re: [Help-bash] how to bulk rename files

From: lxnf98mm
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] how to bulk rename files
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:42:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Greg Wooledge wrote:

2.5 million files?

Note that * will first sort the list of files which will be less
efficient than using find. Bash is also known not to handle
allocation of big things very efficiently.

Having 2.5 million files in a single directory is bad for a multitude
of reasons.  Hell, even "ls" has the same issue with sorting.

Most systems would be brought to their knees, bleeding and begging for
mercy, just by an attempt to open a single file from this directory.

windows folks gave me a usb drive with a single ntfs fs and told me to put all
files in that
that should be self explanatory