[Help-bash] Terminate calling bash script upon receiving non zero return

From: Peng Yu
Subject: [Help-bash] Terminate calling bash script upon receiving non zero return status (and possibly terminate calling script recursively)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:41:05 -0500

Hi,

I'm looking for a feature that can terminate the calling bash script
if the called program return non zero status. But I don't find such a
feature.

I see that && is useful in the following. If prog1 is not returning
zero, prog2 will not be called.

prog1 && prog2

But this is not convenient if I need to calls many programs.

prog1 && prog2 ....  && prog_n

is not as convenient as

prog1
prog2
prog_n

If I have some complex expressions, the way of '&&' makes them hard to read.

Also, if the calling script is called by another script, I want to
terminate that script as well.

Having to test the return status each time is one solution but it
requires writing a lot of testing code which I'd rather avoid.

Does anybody have any better solution?

Peng