[Help-bash] ENV variable

From: Timothy Madden
Subject: [Help-bash] ENV variable
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 18:31:45 +0300

Hello

I would like to make all my servers configuration (for our automated test scripts) portable and I was wondering why does bash not read the environment variable ENV by default ? The var is supposed to name a file with the same purpose as ~/.bashrc, and is used if I start bash with the --posix option or if I start it as sh.

But I do not want to change my login shell from bash to sh, or to pass --posix to every single shell I start. And the variable seems so harmless, why would bash not read it ?

Thank you,
Timothy Madden