Re: [Help-bash] IFS & read

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] IFS & read
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 22:02:30 +0200

Hi,

Since this is a help list, I am taking the liberty to ask something a
bit off-topic.

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden> wrote:
> Still, I think the most likely explanation is that Bill didn't set IFS
> correctly (maybe he did IFS='\x01' instead of IFS= \x01' which is a
> really easy thing to screw up... I just screwed it up myself, in
> fact).

I have never seen the syntax above with the `$'. What is the difference
between the two? I tried looking for it in the info manual under
"Quoting", but could not find anything. Can someone point me to the
relevant part of the docs?

Thanks,

--
Suvayu