Re: [Help-bash] How to prevent duplicate echo when using set -x?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] How to prevent duplicate echo when using set -x?
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:13:34 -0600

adrelanos wrote:
> Stephane Chazelas:
> > What about
> > : Doing this because
> > ?
>
> Very well! Thanks!

That is what I do too.  Note that ":" is command and everything
afterward is an option argument to it.  Therefore proper quoting must
be applied.  Therefore I always quote the rest of the line as one
argument.

  : debug: "Doing this because a < b & * is better than ?"

Trying to use shell metacharacters in comments without quoting would
of course cause trouble.  But quoted they are fine.

Bob