Re: [Help-bash] set time

From: lxnf98mm
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] set time
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 13:02:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, address@hidden wrote:

On Friday, September 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Greg Wooledge  wrote: But
*why* do you want to set the system clock ahead 2.5 hours?  It's
such a bizarre request that you must be doing it to solve some other
problem, which can perhaps
 I often have wild drifts in my virtual machines, the sort that ntp
can't  deal with and internet access is quite often not available
(thus, no  ntpdate either).
So I use a script that shifts the time by one second or more every
few  or several seconds (depending on the situation) based on my
algorithm  (which would become too mathematically complicated to me,
at least for  the time I afford to give it, if some of its steps
themselves take an  unpredictable *and* non-negligible number of
milliseconds to run). I use  date -s "$intv seconds" (as one your
replies suggested) and, while it's  far from perfect, it's making the
situation much more manageable, as at  least I'm running just one
command.
Certainly, if you could help me find another approach to this, that
would be great.

i thought ntpd would automatically adjust the time even if the server is 2 hours out of sync