Re: [Help-bash] A do nothing function

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] A do nothing function
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:13:18 -0500

For example, I have to conditions to tests and depending on the condition

function cmd1 {
if [ $cnd1 ]
then
   blah1
else
  cat
fi
}

function cmd2 {
if [ $cnd2 ]
then
   blah2
else
  cat
fi
}

cmd1 | cmd2

Because using cat is not efficient, a more efficient way might be. But
nested if is very hard to read. So still the above is better in terms
of readability. That's why I'm looking for a better way to avoid cat.

if [ $cnd1 ]
then
if [ $cnd2 ]
then
   blah1 | blah2
else
  blah1
fi

else

if [ $cnd2 ]
then
   blah2
else
   cat
fi
fi

The following was sent incorrectly.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
> For example, in pseudo code
>
> function cmd1 {
> if some condition
>
> }
>

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM, DJ Mills <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have to use cat if just want to pass the stdin to stdout. But this
>>> requires calling cat. Is there a more efficient way to just past stdin
>>> to stdout?
>>>
>>> /tmp$ cat test.sh
>>> #!/usr/bin/env bash
>>>
>>> function cmd {
>>> cat
>>> }
>>>
>>> echo xxxx | cmd | cat
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Peng
>>>

>> No, cat's the easiest/best way to accomplish that.
>> However, that raises the question of why you wouldn't ust omit the whole
>> thing
>

> --
> Regards,
> Peng