Re: [Help-bash] savannah vs github

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] savannah vs github
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 16:45:57 -0700

On 11/06/2012 04:09 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> It's not resistance to github per se, just a benefit analysis.  Things
>>> like "it's more popular" or "it has more users" aren't really convincing.
>>> If, as you claim, it's more likely to attract contributors, then a simple
>>> test would be to clone the repository from savannah on github and see what
>>> happens.
>>
>> I agree, provided that the links to both repositories are posted on
>> bash home page. I think that if there is a way to somehow sync the two
>> repositories may be a better alternative (as people can choose
>> whatever he/she likes), although I don't know how to do it
>> technically.
>
> Hi Chet,
>
> Have you got a chance to create a synchronized repository on github?

Why should Chet do it?  If anything, it sounded like he had asked
someone who cared about github to do the clone (if github is anything
like repo.or.cz, _anyone_ can clone any other public git module, not
just the canonical upstream maintainer), to prove that it attracts
interest.  The joy of a distributed version control is that you don't
have to make the maintainer of the canonical upstream be the bottleneck
for the things you want to do downstream.  As for listing the links of a
github clone on the bash home page, I think that's premature until after
(and only if) the github clone proves itself to be useful.

[By the way, I personally don't find github compelling enough for me to
be interested in doing such a clone myself, so it's already an uphill
battle for you to convince me that github adds any value to what is
already working for upstream bash]

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266