[Help-bash] possible to see remaining seconds of $TMOUT?

From: Doug Hunley
Subject: [Help-bash] possible to see remaining seconds of $TMOUT?
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 13:09:31 -0500

I couldn't find any useful info about this on the FAQ or using Google, if it is documented somewhere please point me to it and accept my humble apologies.

We currently have TMOUT set to 300 seconds to auto-logout shells when people go idle after 5 minutes and it works great. Recently though, I had cause to wonder 'how many of those 300 seconds are left' and I couldn't figure out how to determine that. Ideally, I'd like to add it to my GNU screen statusline as a visual reminder that 'hey, you're going to get logged out in NN seconds'. Is this doable?

Please note that I am not on this list and would appreciate being copied on reply.

Thanks in advance!

--
Douglas J Hunley (address@hidden)
Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web: