Re: [Help-bash] Bash is setting disposition of a signal, ignored upon en

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Bash is setting disposition of a signal, ignored upon entry to shell, to default
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:31:31 -0700

Anoop Sharma wrote:
> I am testing on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.

Which by default will have /bin/sh symlinked to dash.

  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Mar 29  2012 /bin/sh -> dash

Unless you have taken action to modify the default configuration.  If
you have symlinked that to bash (sh -> bash) then it will use bash to
implement the POSIX shell in bash's POSIX mode.

> I have narrowed down this issue a bit more. The problem is not seen when I
> include a "#! /bin/bash" in the script or if I use the command "bash -c
> test_1.sh".

Right.  Because then you will be running bash in native mode.  When
using bash features that is "The Right Thing To Do".

> It is only seen when I rely on bash as ubuntu default command interpreter
> to work. I have verified that ubuntu does invoke the same bash as the
> command interpreter by including BASH_VERSION in the script.

If bash is running from /bin/sh it will be running in POSIX mode.  It
will set BASH_VERSION but will disable bash specific features that
conflict with the POSIX /bin/sh mode.  The presence of BASH_VERSION
does not indicate whether bash is running in native mode or not.

  $ set -o | grep posix
  posix           on

  $ set -o | grep posix
  posix           off

> Any idea what could be going wrong?

I think you are calling your script with "#!/bin/sh" instead of
"#!/bin/bash" and therefore are only getting /bin/sh features.

Instead call your bash script with "#!/bin/bash" if you are going to
use bash features.  (I tend to do the opposite and only use portable
shell features.  But this is the help-bash list after all and so most
people here would recommend use bash features not avoid them.)

Bob