Re: [Help-bash] Proposed usage of $-

From: Mart Frauenlob
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Proposed usage of $-
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:42:47 +0100

On 14.01.2013 16:33, Chet Ramey wrote:
On 1/14/13 9:00 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 09:07:54AM +0100, Mart Frauenlob wrote:
The particular script, which brought this all up for me, as it won't
work in posix mode, quits on error on process substitution:

line 199: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
line 199: `   done < <(some_command_generating_a_list)'

Well, obviously you can't use non-POSIX features in "bash -posix".

Yes obviously, if you are sure if something is posix or not.
I'm not a regular shell hacker. Just in my free time and even then only occasionally. I'm sorry, but everything regarding computers consumes time like a hog. Every time I start some project, I end up searching for docs, reading them, testing, compiling, etc... for days. One of the reasons I never even tried to write a posix compatible script, is as I was following comp.unix.shell for a while, noticing what quirk it is to have a script work on all shells. Knowing posix like the alphabet and what was the other UNIX standard?
The good thing about standards, there's so many of them :)
Sorry if I sound ignorant. It's tough enough for me to write reasonable good bash scripts once a while. Greg your wiki has been of great help for me. I really appreciate it. For sure I've been more on your wiki, than on austin groups site :)
I never even found time to explore another shell than bash :/

That's not strictly true; Posix mode doesn't turn off everything that
Posix doesn't specify.  Process substitution, however, is one of the
things the Posix mode disables.

Was guessing it's like that, thank you.

Btw, is it just me - it takes six hours for a post to appear on the mailing list?

Best regards

Mart