Re: [Help-bash] play audio-CD in consol

From: Matthew Cengia
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] play audio-CD in consol
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 06:54:14 +1100

Please see comment below.
On 2013-01-29 14:52, Mart Frauenlob wrote:
[...]
> >echo -e "\n"$center$frame"\n" $center$title"\n"$center$frame
> >
> >echo -e "\n\tListen to audio CDs with alsaplayer
> >(http://www.alsaplayer.org/)"
> >echo -e "\n\tFirst of all you must edit the ~/.alsaplayer/config
> >\tComplement or add the following lines:
> >\n\t 1 cdda.cddb_servername=freedb.freedb.org
> >\t 2 cdda.cddb_serverport=8880
> >\t 3 cdda.device=/dev/sr0 # replace /dev/sr0 by the good path of your box.
> >\t 4 cdda.do_cddb_lookup=true"
> >
> >echo -e "\n\t\tTo play a CD, type: play, then Enter
> >\t\tTo exit alsaplayer, keep playing, type exit and Enter
> >\t\tTo stop the CD, if it is playing, type stop and Enter
> >\t\tEnter ? for more help"
> >

> hard to read, I'd prefer printf, or here-document redirection here.

Regarding the above, I would go so far as to almost *mandate* printf. I
realise this is a Bash mailing list, but, as part of good coding
practice (mostly in case you find your script running in a non-bash
shell:

06:51 <mattcen> !echo
06:51 <greybot> echo outputs a string. echo has many portability problems, and
                should never be used with option flags. In POSIX shells, use:
                `printf '%b\n' "args"' or `printf %s "args"' for -e and -n
                respectively. For ksh-like shells other than Bash: print
                -[r|n].
                http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/commands/builtin/echo |
                http://cfajohnson.com/shell/cus-faq.html#Q0b |
                http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/echo+printf