Re: [Help-bash] question about bash tests folder (test cases)

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] question about bash tests folder (test cases)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:49:13 -0500

On 1/30/13 7:16 PM, Nouroz Borazjany, Mehra wrote:
> Hi
> My name is Mehra and I am PhD student at UTA. My research is about testing
> and I picked bash as one of my subjects.
> I noticed that there is a folder in the bash source file directory , call
> tests, my question is how your developer team come up with these test
> cases. Are these tests have a specific target? are you testing specific
> functionality?

It's an accrual of a combination of tests for basic functionality, tests
using an old code coverage tool (pure coverage, back in the day), and
tests that encapsulate bug reports and fixes.

> I run the test cases for version version 2.01.0(34)-release  , and measure
> the code coverage of the source code with gcov and I got 70% function
> coverage.

That's actually pretty good for something which is mostly used
interactively.

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/