Re: [Help-bash] brace expansion in non-C locales

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] brace expansion in non-C locales
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:32:05 -0400

On 3/13/13 9:13 AM, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:

> I fully expected the brace expression {Z..Ö} to epand to Z Å Ä Ö in the
> sv_SE.ISO8859-1 locale.
>
> Why is brace expressions limited to C locale behaviour?

Because there is no portable way to enumerate a collating sequence, no
portable way to discover where an arbitrary character appears in the
locale's collating sequence, and no way to tell how "far apart" two
characters are in the locale's collating sequence.  In fact, except for
strcoll(3), the current locale's collating sequence is completely opaque.

> What can I do to change that?

Very little.

Chet
Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/