Re: [Help-bash] starting a central bash script repository

From: Pierre Gaston
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] starting a central bash script repository
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:13:43 +0300

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

For many major program languages, there are central repositories. For example,

python http://pypi.python.org/pypi
perl http://www.cpan.org/
R http://cran.r-project.org/
nodejs: https://npmjs.org/

Many bash scripts are scatter across the web, and I'm sure that a lot
efforts has been wasted for developing the same things over and over
again. Therefore, it is beneficial to have a central repository so
that future development can be based on others existing work.

Does anybody have any interest on this project?

I'm pretty much sure there are people interested.

It may be difficult to write safely re-usable bash code, but pretty much
the same is true of emacs lisp and that didn't prevent people
from writing tons of libraries and useful programs.

All in all that can perhaps lead to the creation of some coding standard
(eg, always put the name of your module in front of your variables and the like)
and with the help of modern vcs to hopefully better shell code examples
with the help of peer reviewing.