Re: [Help-bash] Where is $TERM documented?

From: Jan Schampera
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Where is $TERM documented?
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 20:04:02 +0200

On 04.05.2013 19:40, Peng Yu wrote:

I see the following variable in my bash. But I don't find it in the
bash manual. Does anybody know where it is documented? Thanks.

~$ echo $TERM
xterm-256color

Bash manpage only documents own variables or variables it respects (for any purpose).

TERM may not be used by Bash directly. Maybe it's used by Readline directly (in this case it also should go to the manual).

I more guess it's used by some library Bash/Readline uses (curses or so?).

In general, you have MANY variables set, MANY of them are not for or from Bash.

--
Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others.
- jbp, master of the net, in RFC793